IOSSPL Project - www.iosspl.org
Integrated Open-Source System for Public Libraries Automation
October 2003: CONTACT NET (Romania) gained an international projects contest launched by the Italian government - the Ministry of Productive Activities, under the framework of the Italian Law 212/1992.
The official launching of the IOSSPL project was announced on June 1st, 2004, the 50% co-funding granted by the Ministry of Productive Activities, Italy, being planned for the end of the year 2004.
CONTACT NET involvement:
- project preparation for the auction
- project coordination for the next 2 years
The project is planned to be continued on a Europe-wide scale, in collaboration with ELAG (European Library Automation Group), CONTACT NET providing the software, implementation services, localization and customization.
The Italian partner for the IOSSPL Project is PROGETTO SOFTWARE (Ragusa, Italy).
The IOSSPL Project comes as complementary to "The National Program for the Automation and Development of Public Libraries Services in Romania"
The IOSSPL Project proposes to develop a complete web-based, standards-compliant, open-source library software system which will become available to be implemented in all the public libraries in Romania in the long run.
The IOSSPL system will be first implemented in 5 Pilot-Libraries in Romania. The Installation Kit, the Technical Documentation and the User Guide will be made available to the Ministry of Cultures and Religious Affairs, in order to be further offered free of charge to all the interested libraries in Romania.
The IOSSPL Project will also ensure the technical formation of the representatives of the Public Libraries in Romania (200 librarians and 40 metodists from the public libraries system will be trained for the PC utilization, and further in the field of Bibliologic Information Technology and applications).
Parties involved in the project:
• CONTACT NET ltd Bucharest, project coordinator, Romanian promoter
• PROGETO SOFTWARE Ragusa, Italy, Italian promoter
• CIMEC - The Institute for Cultural Memory of the Ministry of Culture and Religious
Affairs, Romania, Romanian partner
• County Library "Ovid Densusianu" Hunedoara, Deva (Public Regional
Administration), Romanian partner
• The Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs, Romania, Romania beneficiary
• Consulting from: ELAG (European Library Automation Group)